What’s in this weekend’s soup?
This weekend we made a black bean chicken 3 pepper vegetable chili.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 pound all natural, antibiotic and hormone free or free range chicken breast, cut up
1 pound of black beans, soaked, cooked until tender and rinsed.
1 pound of frozen kernel corn
1 green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, diced
1 quart of filtered water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp red pepper
Fresh sprig of cilantro
1. In a dutch oven or large, heavy bottom soup pot with cover, saute your chopped onions and tomatoes. (I prefer to puree both the onion and the tomato and saute together).
2. Add your garlic and saute for another minute or two.
3. Add your chicken.
4. Add a quart of filtered water.
5. Add your vegetables and rinsed pre-cooked black beans, and spices. (We added a yellow, green, and red pepper for color, and also a bag of baby peeled organic carrots to add more color and another vegetable.)
6. Place covered on low heat to simmer until your ingredients are tender to your taste.
7. Top your soup with freshly snipped cilantro!
Voila! Now we have a healthy and delicious soup that conforms to a much better nutritional profile than most of the overly-processed and carb-heavy foods we’re used to! Try this out, give it your own twist, and let us know how it works for you.